About the High School Summer Test Prep Program
Starting in summer 2016, CNM received a Community Impact Project grant from United Way of Central New Mexico to promote summer learning opportunities for high school students. The High School Summer Test Prep Program is designed to help high school students improve their Accuplacer* scores and prepare to take Dual Credit courses. Students receive intensive instruction in either Math or Reading/English as well as workshops on test taking strategies, time management, goal setting, and making a smooth transition into Dual Credit/college-level courses. These test prep classes are traditionally not available to high school students, but the funding from United Way allows CNM to make these classes available to high school students free of charge.
*The Accuplacer is a college course placement exam which evaluates reading comprehension, English, and math skills. The Accuplacer is free, untimed, and offered at any CNM campus Assessment Center.
In our first year, students saw dramatic improvements in their Accuplacer scores and tremendous success in their fall classes as Dual Credit students. In addition to improving Accuplacer scores and increasing the number of course options available to students, benefits include:
- Free tuition, fees, and course materials for a 3-week long test prep course.
- Small class sizes (15 students per class).
- Free workshops and seminars on skills needed to be successful in college.
- Individual academic and career goal coaching.
- Individual assistance with Dual Credit course registration at the end of the program.
A student must meet each requirement below in order to participate in the program. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Have applied to CNM as a Dual Credit student.
- Be a continuing high school student during fall 2017.
- Commit to taking at least one class as a CNM Dual Credit student in fall 2017.
Once a student has successfully applied to the program, the following expectations must be met:
- Attend the first day of class. Students who do not attend on the first day will not be allowed to remain in the program.
- Attend the final day of class. Students who do not attend the final day of the course will not be able to receive a successful grade.
- Have no more than two absences.
- Complete required meetings with assigned coach to discuss academic and career goals and plan for fall Dual Credit courses.
How to Apply
- Apply to CNM as a Dual Credit student
- Complete the online High School Summer Test Prep Program application. Applying does not guarantee entry to program. Seats will be filled on a first come, first served basis based on eligibility.
- Have recent (November 2016 or newer) Accuplacer scores on file (more about the Accuplacer).
- Complete the CNM Online Orientation.
- Submit a Dual Credit Student Parent Agreement form, if you have not previously done so.
#CNM #DualCredit #SummerTestPrep #FreeHSClass